Friday, September 16, 2011

Touched By An Aussie

<Originally posted elsewhere on October 7th, 2008>


(My apologies to Roma Downey.) 

Chris left this morning.  It was an absolutely fantastic week and I am truly sad to see her leave. 

I wondered how she would see Phoenix and my little corner of the world.  I wondered if an us vs. them dynamic would emerge to highlight how truly narcissistic Americans are.  The short answer is... yes.  It really is all about us.  In talking with Chris, I became much more aware of the global views of others living outside the US.  I was amazed to find out that Aussies keep up with American politics.  I live here and I barely pay attention. 

Chris explained their mentality as "we're all in this together."  I think Americans to some degree have bastardized that concept to say "we're all in this together so long as you don't touch my stuff."  Aussies are happily taxed out the bum to pay for public health care.  We balk at contributing a dollar at the grocery store for Jerry's Kids. 

I have a particular neutrality where Americans are concerned so it's not that I think the ways of others are necessarily better.  I think we've arrived at our way of thinking because it served a purpose.  I think it still does.  I know we are constantly bombarded with offers, scams, and high pressure sales pitches.  I think a natural reaction to that is to turn a blind eye and rotely repeat "No thank you, not interested."  I think we're a stubborn bunch and prefer to give on our own terms - not because we feel guilty or trapped.



Exploring our cultural differences is always fascinating to me.  I helped Chris count out change at the drugstore, told her she didn't need to tip the guy who bagged our groceries and encouraged her to wear athletic shoes when we went for soul food (she did not - she was "proper" by Aussie standards and wore sandals).  I feel quite confident that when we finally make it to Oz, she'll be elbowing me to tip someone or trying to politely tell me that I cannot go to dinner dressed like a homeless person. 

In her week here, I think she got a good slice of Americana.  We fed her soul food, mexican food, and a little slice of cowboy cookin' last night.  We walked the streets of little art towns in search of fudge and fun art.  She got to meet a few of my favorite people.  We went to the artwalk downtown where she got very excited to see a gay male couple but very disappointed to see that the leather booth was only wristbands and wallets.  We spent days at home, ran around the city shopping, and bonded over exercise, chocolate and a margarita or two.  I don't get a lot of girl-time in my life so this was quite lovely for me.  Such wonderful conversations we had as well - politics, sex, relationships.  Good stuff.  I miss her already. 

Her departure marks my return to the real world.  Time to stop thinking and start doing.      

No comments:

Post a Comment