Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Ethic in Ethical

It's rare that I have what I term an existential crisis.  I regularly stress about the idiosyncrasies of life, the life span of my breakfast sandwiches and whether or not flip-flops count at "dressy shoes."  In general, I keep the "existentials" at bay and focus more on problems I can actually solve.  

I currently find myself in the thick of ethical dissonance.  Periods of ethical dissonance often lead to a lot of self-reflection, questions, and daytime drinking.  

I think I'm a good person but am I really?  Do I make decisions that are kind, thoughtful, and compassionate?  Do I regard others with the appropriate amount of care and concern?  Am I being honest with myself about the motivations behind my decisions?  Do I recognize the less than desirable parts of my personality when they are indeed factoring into my decisions?  Am I aware of those things and feelings?  Do I deal with them appropriately when they arise?  

I'm not a Christian but in many ways, I try to behave like one.  I try to be honest with myself even (and perhaps especially) when my feelings and/or behaviors aren't pretty.  I do my absolute best to take responsibility for my actions and the ramifications of those actions.  I promised myself a long time ago that if I'm going to do something that I feel is ethically wrong, I have to say out loud "I know this is wrong and I'm doing it anyway."  When faced with that "check," those unethical activities are a hell of a lot less appealing.  Ultimately, I want to make Maslow proud.  

As an atheist, I live under no particular moral code.  My "philosophy" is to be a good person.  Or, more simply, don't be an asshole.  

It's no secret that I have standards for those around me.  I try to keep those standards in check, allowing for negotiation and discussion because I know that no one arrived where I am by way of the same path.  I also recognize that I am unquestionably flawed and fallible.  To that end, I try to look at something from all angles.  It's always possible that I have missed something.   

Really, my ethical code is simple.  Don't hurt anyone.  And if you do, fix it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment